Rick Vazza, CFA, CFP® Professional Story
Hi, I am Rick Vazza, founder and financial advisor of Driven Wealth Management. I launched Driven Wealth Management in 2018 to partner with Driven professionals and entrepreneurs. After several years advising ultra high net worth clients at major institutions, I recognized I love working with business owners.
Unfortunately, I noticed a few problems in trying to do so:
- The financial industry traditionally charges on the investments they are managing, but most business owners don’t have sizable investment accounts – their net worth is in the business after all!
- Standard planning topics aren’t interesting or relevant to business owners – diversification and stock market returns don’t seem attractive when your business has a high return on capital.
- Owners are weary of “financial advisors” just trying to sell them life insurance.
From this, Driven Wealth Management launched to address these problems and partner with business owners and their families by:
- Charging a fee for service (like a consultant), not requiring a fee on assets.
- Helping business owners grow their largest asset (company) using expertise gained through earning the CFA designation by focusing on business metrics and strategy.
- Using the expertise gained through earning the CFP® designation to explain how business decisions impact the personal and family planning of the owners and ensuring they continue to build their net worth without overlooking any blind spots.
I am a Chartered Financial Analyst, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional and proud member of the following organizations:
- CFA Institute
- CFP Board
- National Association of Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Fee Only Network
- XY Planning Network
Additionally, I serve on the boards of:
- Financial Planning Association of San Diego
- San Diego Young Leaders Association
- T. CLAUDE AND GLADYS B. RYAN FAMILY YMCA
- And I am on the investment committee of the San Diego Girl Scouts
Rick Vazza, CFA, CFP® My Personal Story
I am married to my incredible wife, Whitney. We met during our last semester of senior year at Providence College. I am from a little south of Boston, MA while she is from Albany, NY. After several years in Brooklyn and Washington DC, we now live in sunny San Diego, CA, where you can typically find us walking our one-eyed French Bulldog, Copper, and newborn baby girl, Mila, around the neighborhood.
We are big foodies and love trying new restaurants and recipes. From weekends devouring the “ramen burger” at food markets in Brooklyn, to tailgating the opening of Franklin’s Barbecue in Austin, there’s no food fad we won’t try. Travel is our second love. Along with a cross country trip, we have been fortunate to spend time in Milan, Venice, Dubrovnik, Prague, Amsterdam, Barcelona and took the honeymoon of our dreams to the Maldives. We consistently contribute to our travel fund to make these trips happen!
I love to play just about every sport, whether it’s to improve a skill or just a way to meet new people. You can typically catch me on the golf course, or playing softball and soccer with rec leagues. I am also an avid reader that rotates between fictional authors, such as Dennis Lehane, biographies of history’s greatest influencers, such as Winston Churchill, and of course financial classics like “Reminiscences of a Stock Operator”.
I am the oldest of four siblings. Despite living in different parts of the country now, the highlight of our year is our visit back to Massachusetts when my whole family gets together.